09 September 2024

Thrills

I've always thought myself immune from popularity of film music  I was wrong.  NCO just played a concert of film music in the Snow Concert Hall and I was thrilled by the event and enamoured by the music.  Especially the works of John Williams.  Now along with film music, I remain reticent about going to films so I'd seen just a few of these.  First up Star wars suite.  Fabulous, intriguing, inventive, involving, unexpected, by John Williams.  This was exemplary.  Not easy, either, for the syncopations that change all over the place and the bowing and odd intervals and some delightfully delicate tunes too.  Then Lord of the Rings, Two towers, and the Dambusters march.  I remember that film from my childhood, although I see it rather more reticently these days.  "History is written by victors" is often attributed to Winston Churchill, but perhaps not, as he'd be undermining his own place in it.  But the music is a fabulous, driving march and the NCO did a great job.  And it's a big NCO now: ~80 players on stage for this concert in our new venue, the Snow Concert hall at Canberra Grammar School.  The stage was chockers with the orchestra and the venue was almost full with 800+ in the audience.  Sound was great, too, from where I sat.  It's a relatively intimate place for ~1,000 seats and a decent stage, with organ and Steinway so it works.  Then after the interval, the Complete Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean medley, Interstellar suite and How to train your dragon end credits.  Well, some films I have not even heard of, but the music was good to great and the orchestra played up to the occasion with a few costumes and the reception was enraptured.  A great and successful way to pass a Sunday afternoon.

The National Capital Orchestra performed a concert of film music at the Snow Concert hall under Louis Sharpe (conductor).

No comments: