03 May 2009

Again just caught in passing

I only had a few minutes, but this time I managed a few pics of Natalie Magee and her trio. She’s been appearing increasingly frequently around town. I’d heard her at the Dendy recently, but I was there for a movie and didn’t have my camera. The Dendy is an odd venue for a jazz band, being a cinema, but it’s a long-standing gig and presumably brings in punters on a Monday night, so good on Dendy. That night, Natalie was playing with Phill Jenkins and Luke Sweeting. At Minque yesterday she was with Luke and Bill Williams. She’s playing today with Carl Morgan. Natalie sings the great standards repertoire: My foolish heart, Lullaby of Birdland, Foggy day, The very thought of you, and the like. Seriously and emphatically performed, and with a musicians of great panache. Lovely stuff and regularly giggable.

Natalie Magee (vocals) sang with Luke Sweeting (piano) and Bill Williams (bass).

No comments: