29 August 2024

AI daze

In these days of AI and social media stalkers and the rest, it's sad that I can't take a pic of the performers (at least not without permission) but I understand.  Tragic, though.  Instead you have old and new tech with Wesley's decent organ pipes and the newly installed EV PA for the streamed services.  That's modern too, I guess.  But I was there to record the Canberra Girls' Grammar School annual performance on the Wesley stage.  This year it was Telemann, Beethoven, Mozart, Danzi, and Vivaldi from various instrumental groups, a piano trio, clarinet and sax ensembles, string and wind quartets.  There were some lovely performances and a few standout players, one who I noticed playing a string of wind instruments in different groups and a saxist who sounded to me to be jazz formed and a very competent first violin.  I also noticed some lack of confidence, occasionally expressed by rushing in challenging spots, but nothing unexpected.  But my favourite for the day was the choir; I love singing and the clear purpose of words.  They performed Faure and Stef Conner, both religious pieces, accompanied variously by piano and clarinet.  I drooled over a particularly high (coloratura?) voice that floated over the other parts, but I also enjoyed the young female voices, after hearing various choirs of non-standard format recently, the boys choir from Kings College Cambridge (boy sopranos and more) and a local men's choir (ATBB).  All interesting and different and with words and that floating high soprano.   It's like a piccolo: so present it's impossible to miss.  A lovely outing.

Students from the Canberra Girls' Grammar School performed at Wesley.

No comments: