01 August 2024

Pre-pop vox

Wednesdays are my regular lunchtime recording session at Wesley and I love that I hear all manner of styles and mixes of classical players.  This time it was Hilda V-S again as accompanist for soprano Miriam Rose.  They performed a mix of German, French and Italian art songs and arias.  Richard Strauss, Schubert, various Italia arie antique and Faure.  I understand Italian and a little French but I still found it difficult even with the lyrics.  This style is like that but at least I can argue the Italian was an olde styled.  This is not pop or jazz singing but it's quite beautiful when your ear or mind turns to it.  It's fairly recently that my mind has.  I found Miriam's a lovely expressive, full and rich voice, towards the mezzo end, and an inviting host.  Best when I closed my eyes and partook of this beauty and the complexity that poor Hilda had to read.

Miriam Rose (soprano) was accompanied by Hilda Visser-Scott (piano) at Wesley.

No comments: