11 May 2023

Homecomings

It never ceases to amaze me when I come across musicians with grand CVs, but I shouldn't be so surprised.  They pop up often enough here in Australia.  In this case, it was Jane Downer playing with Ariana Odermatt at Wesley.  I was a bit taken back when I read her bio including locals like the Australian Romantic and Classical Orchestra and Canberra Bach Ensemble and Pinchgut but also extravagant foreign names like Concerto Koln and Academy of Ancient Music and Oslo Barokkorkester and more.  I guess she studied in Europe and worked there for some time.  She played recorder (tenor or alto?) and baroque oboe with accompaniment from Ariana, although they both played occasional solo pieces in opening and closing side "panels" (it was a Bach Tritych) with a larger central panel as BWV529 Trio played on recorder and harpsichord.  That delicate sound of the harpsichord and the airy recorder and flatulent baroque oboe were all delightful and so capably played.  This is recorder as I seldom hear it.  And it sounded authentic, of the period.  At least I guess so.  So, a discovery but also a hugely pleasurable little concert.

Austral Harmony performed a Bach Triptych at Wesley.  Austral Harmony were Jane Downer (recorder, baroque oboe) and Ariana Odermatt (harpsichord).

No comments: