21 September 2023

A different sounding song

I've sung in choirs and heard quite a few but they were always mixed choirs, usually with four parts, two male, two female, soprano, alto, tenor, bass (SATB) so it was somewhat a surprise to hear a male choir.  I asked about parts: still four parts, but tenor 1 /  2, baritone, bass, so closer in pitch but still wonderfully satisfying.  I was a little surprised by that.  I thought the choir might sound deep and stodgy but not at all.  There were still some relatively high pitches and they were lovely (one guy stood out to my ear) and the harmonies were lovely although not always so easy to hear.  But suffice to say, I really enjoyed the sound and the performance.  This is the Canberra Men's Choir, directed and accompanied by women in our modern world, Leanne McKean and Vivian Zhu.  The choir has been around since 1986, it's non-auditioned and invites new members.  They played a popular set of 13 songs.  They were mostly short and I might have enjoyed some more substantial numbers, but they were popular and attractive and some faves of mine: '70s/80s pop including Raindrops keep falling on my head, Here comes the sun, Moon river, Love is all around, Hallelujah; early standards like Blue moon, What a wonderful world; some more folky tunes, Wayfaring stranger, Shady grove, Hand me down my silver trumpet.  I liked it all: good harmonies, copious male voices.  I thought some more swing was called for occasionally, but that's something for the jazzers.  A wonderful and entertaining and satisfying concert.  Beats hanging out in the front bar, but they probably do that, too.

The Canberra Men's Choir was conducted by Leanne McKean (musical director) with Vivian Zhu (piano) accompanying.

No comments: