25 September 2024

Small gig, big sound

I managed my first Tokyo jazz gig with just one set in a small basement bar.  The closest of many jazz clubs to the restaurant where we had eaten with friends.  It was a dive into an unconventional, uncommercial world but one which I loved from the first notes.  This was free jazz played by guitar, bass and drums to an audience of three and host.  The opening whacks of drummer Kuniyoshi had me reaching for tissues for my ears.  The guitar followed.  I was immediately entranced.  All Taiko-like explosive drumming in place of grooves and slaps and taps and slides and effects on guitar.  The second improv added Rickenbacker bass and more effects.  The floor was littered with effects as were a few tables.  I heard mostly loopers and reverb and delay but there were strange otherworldly noises too against descending repetitive basslines or repeated chromatic steps from Naoyasu.  Then unexpectedly some bluesy guitar licks and an end on some lovely descending chords. Tetsuya spoke  of having played punk but this seemed prettier.  I was fascinated by this outing, even entranced, but despite the seemingly simple unconventional instrumental techniques I wonder how to play thus so effectively.  Alternative techniques with effect unit abandon and yet with a sense of control and development.  It certainly worked this evening in this little venue and only seven people in the room.

Tetsuya Hayashi (guitar), Naoyasu Takahaski (bass) and Kuniyoshi Yamada (drums) played free jazz at Asagaya TEN, Tokyo.

No comments: