23 September 2024

Window shopping


Our local station is in Tokyo Shin-Okubo.  Just look what I found in the next street.  Two big music stores on interest!  First was TC Gakki.  I'd heard the name and it was a pleasure to peruse.  Ground floor was electric guitars, basses, effects, repairs, sales.  Then a floor for acoustic guitars and another for brass.  Lots of impressive second hand instruments, not least some I own or gave owned.  Plenty are lined up with no strings for repairs and setups.  A naked fretless ‘70s PB was probably my fave but lots caught my eye.  Then further down the street for T Kurasawa & Co.  First sight was a window of nice e-basses and I idled through that area.  Most seemed new.  Presumably the other classical strings were there but I descended to the basement bottom enders and the Kurosawa Bass Center (sic) and ~75 basses on obvious show.  I tried an old Eastern European instrument, listened to a staffer playing B5 and demonstrating tones of various German bows, saw a Reghin bass like my other contrabass.  But just window shopping.  I later discovered there was another shop in the same street that sold vintage e-instruments, but I missed it : hyperguitars.com

TC Gakki and Kurasawa Bass Centre are music stores next to Shin-Okubo station in Tokyo.  Hyperguitars was nearby.

No comments: