24 June 2023

It's a wrap

The wrap up was Mr Ott again, this time with Nick Garbett in place of Ellen Kirkwood.  I've written of them from last night, so no particular report.  Suffice to say the vibe was infectious and joyous with lots of dancers and chatter and a few glasses and hamburgers.  I'd missed all the local Canberrans and a few notables that I know of and a few other names that I didn't know.  Given four venues with one a little hike away and single sets, it's not always feasible to get to everything.  You miss too much in the walk-time  But what I saw was enough and invigorating and stimulating and a nice update on SIMA and Sydney improv jazz and related arts.  On the way out I passed the local cultural centre (theatre, gallery, museum, library, cafe).  It was a sunny and warm winter's day (by Orange standards) so I managed a quick perusal of the local museum (small but these things always have interest) and a decent cappuccino so I was ready for the 3.5 hour return drive.  It's a hike but most do it, from Sydney or Canberra.  Otherwise, a nice town and we can only wish OWJF a long history.  It's a worthy outing on a long weekend.  Thanks again to SIMA.

Mt Ott played the Lord Anson for the end-festival party.

No comments: