12 June 2023

Trumpeters' melodies glow

I don't know what it is but trumpeters seem to write great melody.  I guess it's a function of the instrument and the fingering and the harmonic sequence that underlies it all.  I walked up to the Orange Con to hear Underwards given that Hillary Geddes was playing with them.  In the end I was stunned by the compostions by leader and trumpeter Ellen Kirkwood, intrigued by the bass lines and effects and hugely impressed by both Hillary and drummer Alex. All odd times and strange, heavily effected, composed bass lines, unexpected divisions and mellifluous distortions against glorious clearly spelled beautiful trumpet melodies.  This was space and dynamics but always with a purpose.  The purpose was nature or indigenous history or more; always with reason and true emotion.  Deeply sensitive, intellectually inquisitive, modern and of today.  I don't like to be too demeaning of traditions (I love them) but I also like honest searching and development and this seemed just that.  Breaking the jazz coma.  Do I need to say I was mightily impressed and deeply affected even as the bass was deeply effected.

Underwards are Ellen Kirkwood (trumpet), Hillary Geddes (guitar), Nick Henderson (bass, synths) and Alex Inman-Hislop (drums).

No comments: