20 July 2026

At times quirky

Bianca started with Bluesette, all scat over a classic standard, subtly interpreted and nicely felt then explained that she liked humour in her tunes.  Not that that's all she did, but it was obvious and her chatter just confirmed it.  The next tune was I'm hip then later Peel me a grape and Is that a monkey you've got.  But there was also a twist with very effective story told in person concerning Greek politics, known to her if not to most of us.  The lyric-writing was a stunner, personal and sincere and chilling and ending "Think of the people I've killed / I never will".  Geez, that's expressing politics.  Otherwise, this was a joyous and touching occasion at the end o her ANU degree (SOM and politics).  Not just that, but touching and intimate piece by Joni Mitchell and Graduation Blues, another of her originals.  I just stayed for the first set but this was a stunner.  A top band, piano, bass, drums, subtle and relevant and underplayed despite solos, swollen with harmony vocals and guitar or three horns or whatever.  A celebration of that Graduation.  Not at all the blues.  This was one I hadn't seen or expected to attend and it was a beauty.  Glad I stayed, even if only for one set.

Bianca Tzioumis (vocals) celebrated her graduation and EP release with Ruben Hinton (piano), Harrison Whalan (bass) and Oliver Stott (drums) and a string of invitees at Smiths.

No comments: