
Renowned local theatre critic, Peter Wilkins, described it as an "eggcelent production" and I must agree. I missed some of the gags, it being quick and witty and we weren't too close, but the story of the annual quiche breakfast of the Susan B. Anthony Society for the Sisters of Gertrude Stein meeting in whatever community hall with five leaders / members up front and the audience as part of the action was a strange and welcoming and joyous outing despite the dropping of a nuclear bomb and the need to remain indoors for 4 years and the accidental door issue at one time. But there were also self-relevations, some unexpected, and challenging alternatives to save the world from nuclear annihilation and all round hilarity and consternation and love for quiches and their and others' eggs. Great fun hinting at issues and fears that we should be better ready to deal with today, this being way past 1956 and the bomb and the Cold War. I can see why this won a NY Fringe award. One thing, though. We all got labels with women's names. Megan found her middle name and I did too, but mine was the traditional male spelling. A very minor and somewhat amusing slip up in a wonderful outing.
Jarrad West (director) led Everyman (?) Theatre in 5 Lesbians eating a quiche at the ACT Hub, the 100yo Causeway Hall. The cast was Crystal Mahon (Lulie Stanwyck), Steph Roberts (Wren Robin), Meaghan Stewart (Veronica ‘Vern’ Schultz), Sian Harrington (Ginny Cadbury) and Ylaria Rogers (Dale Prist).
No comments:
Post a Comment