I got to another Smiths jazz jam and the host band was playing a cute tune/song in Cantonese called Eyes on me from the computer game Final Fantasy VIII. Suffice to say I didn't know it but there were sounds of recognition through the room. Then a renowned pop hit Sukiyaki, originally by Kyu Sakamoto, with and introduction about the lyricist's sadness after the 1960 ANPO Treaty that allowed the location of US nuclear weapons in Japan despite the US nuclear bombing of Japan in 1945. A fascinating but apparently discrete response. The host band on the night was Jonathan, Cheuk, Jeremy and Mark and it was Jonathan who sang the lyrics in Cantonese and Japanese. Quite an achievement and a fascinating look at these musical cultures. Then on to a series of singers and other performers and general good will and sometimes confusing song calls with Nitya, Peter, Mitch and more. Maybe I got over excited, playing my MIM JB, but I called Giant steps and finally, when most had left, we played it; a challenge but not impossible. Otherwise a great night much enjoyed upstairs at Smiths.
The host band comprised Jonathan Bscrt (vocals, tenor), Cheuk Cheung (piano), Jeremy Tsuei (bass) and Mark Levers (drums).




No comments:
Post a Comment