23 March 2023

Informed extravagance

It amuses me to see and hear Mark Jurkiewicz play Chopin.  It just feels to me that this is how it should be: mammoth commitment to the complexities and challenge of the undanceable Chopin waltzes.  Like many people, I played Chopin waltzes and it was as far as I went on piano as a kid.  Suffice to say mine was nothing like this!  But then Mark studied at the Fryderyk Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw, no less; I studied with the local nuns.  Not to put them down (my playing was my own invention!) but Mark was undeniably closer to the action.  It shows heaps.  I was in awe, often smiling or even chuckling quietly to myself with the delirious invention of it all.  Finally I've come to love Chopin again.  He played 4 waltzes (5 with the encore) and two mazurkas and a tarantella and Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise brilliante.  No talking, just a few bows and back into it.  Good value for money; lots of notes!  But I josh.  Mark played from memory with all the considered interpretations, all the little pauses and time variations, the delays and pushes, tons of thought and application spelling complex emotional extravagances; mature playing, informed and connecting to the composer.  Every pause proves it.  A huge pleasure. Thanks again to Mark.

Mark  Jurkiewicz (piano) played Chopin at Wesley.

No comments: