28 March 2023

Weekend 2

Sunday was another 3pm mega event.  I was somewhat hassled, having a first go at multitracking recording.  I have most of the gear and the knowledge, but not sure of cables and stands and the like.  In the end, I managed most if not all that I'd like, but it was informative and satisfying.  Super embarrassingly, my phone went off in the performance.  I had "Do Not Disturb" on.  Note to all: check your Android Do Not Disturb settings (and I guess whatever in i-World).  I get few calls and I've never had a call interrupt a concert before, but this was a repeated call, and that was allowed as a default setting on my phone!!!  Suffice to say, not now.  And at the end, a Melbourne mate arrived, unexpected, at the concert, finding me.  Strange events.  But how was the concert?  Just wonderful.  I sat near the Evangelist (tenor) and he impressed.  So did Jesus (as he should)!  Hayley was on bass and did a wonderful job.  I enjoyed following the violins and always enjoy bassoon.  Why are they always so capable and clear toned in our bass range?  I followed the words (recitatives in English; chorals in German with translations).  The story touched me, taking me back to Catholic schooldays.  Not converted, but touched.  Wondering about why this tree or that event.  These stories are old and have resonances that our society isn't aware of these days.  Well, it is the Bible, after all with its long resonances for our/my Euro  culture.  And thinking of German Easter Sundays in Bach's days, presumably the congregation hearing St John's Passion part 1, then a sermon (we had coffee!), then part 2, then I guess a mass and the rest.  They were committed. And also thinking of several musos who had said they'd prefer St Matthew's Passion, given this was so powerful.  Well, it may be a bit better on records, but not much, and the presence and surroundings, even if just modern brick, seemed apt and  the music, both written and played, was fabulous.  How much did I enjoy this?  Enjoy may not be the word, but very much and deeply.  Many thanks to Igitur Nos and Matthew Stuckings and the crew he gathered for this performance.

Igitur Nos Chamber Choir performed under Matthew Stuckings (musical director).  Igitur Nos performed as a choir of ~20 with several soloists and a chamber orchestra of 14.  Soloists were Kent McIntosh (Evangelist, tenor), Sitiveni Talei (Jesus, baritone), Maartje Sevenster (contralto), Cassandra Hmble (soprano), Colin Miller (Pilate, baritone) and Great Claringbould (soprano).  Anthony Smith played continuo (keyboard ). Hayley Manning (bass) provided the bottom end.

No comments: