29 March 2023

Visits

I was surprised to see Anthony Irvine arrive at our Molly gig.  He's a capable bassist and he said later he'd just come to hear Tilt Trio.  We are a retiring crew so I was somewhat flustered.  But we chatted and we played well, so all was well.  He also played a few tunes after our break.  Sadly, no pic, but this was a lesson in commitment and extravagant high playing.  So, what a blast after my relatively safe, but if pretty effective, arpeggiated chords and scalar solos.  He mentioned this as classical chops.  Yeah, maybe, not sure.  I am informed by my recent classical playing.  I certainly read better, if not the more syncopated stuff which is not a thing for the classics.  But I do enjoy finding cycles of fifths and diminisheds and chromaticism in "fine" music, even in Beethoven, often enough.  So it's all a thing of pleasure.  Certainly this gig was.  Thanks for the visit, Anthony.

Tilt Trio played Molly.  Tilt are James Woodman (piano), Eric Pozza (bass) and Dave McDade (drums) and Anthony Irvine (bass) sat in for a few tunes.

No comments: