09 September 2026

Jaminagin

Tuesday night, Smiths jam.  Megan's busy and less classical so I've got to a few jams recently.  And enjoyed them immensely.  Tonight was Greg Stott with Chris Pound and Gus Henderson for a very lovely host band.  Playing several tunes by the greatest composer of the C20th, suggested Greg, only partly in jest.  I remember sitting behind Greg and Mark Sutton, perhaps James Luke, at the Burt Bacharach gig at the Royal Theatre at the National Convention Centre early Nov 2015 and being stunned by the string of lovely melodies and huge hits, so many that the Look of love, Alfie, Wives and lovers, Walk on by, I say a little prayer and the like were just dumped in one of two huge medleys.  Beautiful playing and beautiful tunes from the hosts.  Then a string of the recurring jammers, plenty of singers, Nitya on soprano, a good friend Alysa who I got to play with, perhaps an oversupply of ballads, given the singers.  I was hoping for at least one take on Giant steps, something more up, but feeling the ballads through is a challenge in itself, changing feels and intensity over time and solos.  So great fun once again, and if you are interested, follow the link below to read my report on the Burt Bacharach gig with not a little admiration for Burt's compositions.  Greg, I can only agree: perhaps not the greatest composer but a pop composition genius.

Greg Stott (guitar), Chris Pound (bass) and Gus Henderson (drums) hosted the jazz jam at Smiths.

  • Burt Bacharach in Canberra  /  Setlist
  • No comments: