
I walked in on Ben's Sextet playing some of the most authentic sounding Miles hard bop that I'd heard, given great playing but also the right format, a front line of tenor, alto, bari saxes and a rhythm section of piano, bass and drums. It was Molly on a Friday night and the scene was good and standing room only. I greeted Wayne and Con and Chris and we stood listening. Then Bolivia, another stock and stunner. Everyone was doing their part, solos up front steady but insistent groove behind, and I was taken first up by the supremely neat heads as spelt out by the horns. On through a few other tunes I didn't immediately recognise but in a similar style. I presumed Ben had done a good deal of work transcribing. Some chatter that I didn't catch so I just thought I wouldn't know the titles. Then taken by a neat, expressive, understated solo from Ben, and so lovely and apt. You can trust Ben's solos. And some shared fours on drums and interestingly, two solos of very different approaches from Micah that surprised me with his soloistic variety. Most impressive. Then a chat with Con at the bar and I heard that Ben had actually written many of these tunes. And these unknowns were good! I knew of his preparation for this gig, but a string of originals of quality had me floored. He'd also mentioned some challenging tunes, one with the title Smile. I didn't recognise it. Then later a very complex tune with radically varying counts which I recognised but couldn't place. Ben later confirmed Domi & JD Beck Smile and I'm stunned to hear it in Molly. Thus the evening was a stunner and so glad I could get there given China tiredness and the likes. Bassist Ben stared as leader.
Ben O'Loghlin (bass, composition) led a sextet at Molly with Aaron Michael (tenor), Justin Buckingham (alto), Tom Fell (baritone), Mic Knight (piano) and Connor Moloney (drums).
No comments:
Post a Comment